We practiced sit, down, target, zen once each. Then we took a lap around the car "theoretically" on a LLW. It took a few rounds for Miller to focus and get in the game.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Trainer: Briann Bellevieux
Nice! That's a good little exercise, isn't it? Next time, do the exercise, then load him back up in the car and drive to another location (It can be in the very same parking lot) and try it again.
ReplyDeleteSue writes this in Watch: Level 2: "The first thing I do in ANY new situation is sit down and start working eye contact. By doing this, I'm reminding her of many things I want her to know: a) she CAN work in new places, b) she's not alone in a new place, I'm with her. She can stick with me and we'll be safe together, c) she has to give me what I want before she gets what she wants, even in wonderful new places."
But we can begin "explaining" this with Level 1 in the parking lot exercise long before we get to Watch: Level 2.
Nice work! Keep it up!
So happy to see you post another video so I can tell you again how much your dedication to learning and applying the concepts and principals of R+ training shows!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope when you watch this video you look for all the things you did well! It is important to apply the concepts and principals of R+ to your self and not just to Miller! Remember to LOOK FOR WHAT IS RIGHT FIRST and acknowledge that immediately! Pat YOURSELF and Miller on the back! R+ is for people too!
Living in a correction based culture each of our tendencies is to first see our "mistakes." and try to correct them by focusing on them. We know and apply to our dog training the understanding that you get more of what you reward. ( ie pay attention to) However, we forget to apply this to ourselves! I only mention this because it is the hardest principal to follow and I struggle with it daily. I think it is the cornerstone of each and every behavior.
I saw some loose leash walking that certainly didn't seem theoretical to me! ; ) In addition here's a list of only a few of the things that I saw you doing well!
I hope you see them too!!!
1. Set Miller up for success by working far enough from distractions.
2. used a HRR to get Millers attention and get him in the game
3. waited for Miller to return his attention to you when he would get a little distracted , allowing Miller to " do the work"
4. Used various tools in your "tool box" to help Miller to succeed and then reinforced that success
5.Calm body movements and demeanor, modeling the behavior you want for/from Miller , doing your part o set him up for success!
6 Consistant cues
7. Had a smile in your voice, making the session fun and stress free
KUDOS to you and Miller!